The “Delaware Revenue Solutions Working Group – An Initiative of the Nonprofit Sector” was formed in July, just after the bruising struggle to balance this year’s $50 Million shortfall. We know that this year will be a much greater challenge, so we’ve started to tackle this Delaware State Budget issue collaboratively, meeting on a weekly basis.
The “We” is the Delaware Alliance for Nonprofit Advancement (DANA), Delaware Association of Rehabilitation Facilities (DelARF), Delaware Grantmakers Association (DGA), Delaware Community Foundation (DCF), United Way of Delaware (Uway of DE), Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP), University of Delaware (UD), and many of our Government and Business Partners.
This is the Working Group that has been moving forward with this on your behalf, but we need to hear from you (and you need to be seen by our elected officials). Join us to have your voices heard at the Delaware Revenue Solutions Working Group Forum:
Click here to Register
Tuesday, October 20th
Delaware State Police: Troop 2
100 Lagrange Ave
Newark, DE 19702
Join the conversation! Delawareans need to have a statewide conversation about how we will address the challenges, maintain a high quality of life, and build an economy that provides everyone the opportunity to succeed.
“The Delaware Revenue Solutions Working Group: An Initiative of the Nonprofit Sector” will deliver a whitepaper to you so you can digest all the critical factors at your own pace. (We know how busy you are just serving our fellow Delawareans in need!) We’ll also provide the additional items listed below:
- The whitepaper will be committed to by all the organizing groups mentioned above and will present a course forward that will strive to speak for those among us who can not speak for themselves, and preserve the services that they so desperately need. The expectation is that we’ll integrate your input from the October 20th forum and each organization can use it with their board, staff, and volunteers as your organizing document to plan your advocacy efforts for the year. We’ll integrate with your efforts and work in coalition.
- We’ll provide you with materials and key actions that your nonprofit can use with your board, staff, and volunteers.
- Key dates for action and testimony at JFC, OMB, and other hearings and public events.
- The forum with the Governor’s Office, the Office of Management and Budget, both chambers of the Delaware General Assembly, the Joint Finance Committee, and the State Chamber of Commerce committed so far.
We’ve examined circumstances in Delaware and learned from other states' experiences. We’ve also looked at applicable reports that have been published recently within Delaware. They will also be summarized for you in the White Paper. They include:
- The Final Report of the DEFAC Advisory Council on Revenues
- The Delaware Business Roundtable – “Delaware’s Structural Budget Problem:
- Delaware Voice piece by Co-Chair JFC, Rep. Melanie George Smith
- Delaware Voice piece by General Assembly Leadership, Sen. Blevins, and Rep. Schwartzkopf
Click here for the Working Group’s organizing document
As always, I welcome you to reach out to me with comments or questions.