Nonprofit Finance Fund: Financial Management for Nonprofit Sustainability
Get Your Whole Team on the Same Page and Lead Your Financial Success
Dover, DE (Exact location TBD - check back for an update)
Instructor: Alice Antonelli, Nonprofit Finance Fund (NFF)
Nonprofits can register for a portion of the day, or the full day! Read on to learn more.
The financial heath of any nonprofit is critical to its sustainability. As the economy continues to change and remain uncertain for many in the nonprofit community, some organizations are revisiting current budgeting practices and exploring new options to better navigate a changing environment. NFF will provide both a nuts-and-bolts understanding of financial management, as well as information on a more complex topics to help nonprofit executives be effective leaders in today's uncertain environment.
The goals of the seminar are the following:
- Develop skills to create, examine, and interpret core financial statements and understand the implications for mission and programs
- Explore tools available to monitor ongoing financial health and support organizational decision-making
- Expand comfort in articulating your financial story to staff, constituents, board, and potential funders
|Breakfast and Lunch
Full Day from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Breakfast and Lunch will be served with a full day purchase
Full day DANA member rate $140; Not a member yet? $250
The Morning Session: Learning the Basics and Interpreting Financial Statements
This session covers the fundamentals of nonprofit finance in order to better equip nonprofit leaders and board members to interpret nonprofit financial statements and assess their organizations' financial health. NFF's approach seeks to demystify nonprofit financial statements and present financial information in a fresh and productive way. In addition, executives will learn the basics of budgeting and cash flow planning for a nonprofit organization.
- Review of key concepts in nonprofit finance
- Interpreting and analyzing financial statements
- Statement of activities (income statement, P&L)
- Statement of financial position (balance sheet), including the importance of reserves
- Introduction to reporting tools
- Monthly Cash Flow Projections
Morning Session from 8:30 a.m. to Noon
Breakfast will be served with a morning session purchase
Morning session DANA member rate $75; Not a member yet? $150
The Afternoon Session: Strategic Financial Planning, Including Managing the Changing Landscape of Funding and Financing
As the economy continues to change and remain uncertain for many of us in the nonprofit community, many organizations would like to gain a better understanding of their business models and how it relates to the overall capital structure of their organizations (i.e. the accumulated resources needed to fulfill mission). In addition, many are revisiting current budgeting practices and exploring new options to better navigate this changing environment. The afternoon session provides a review of more advanced budgeting practices in addition to an introduction to forecasting and scenario planning tools.
- Review of the Nonprofit Business Model and its connection to Effective Capitalization Planning
- Balance Sheet and Reserves
- More in-depth training and insights
- Introduction to more reporting tools
- Advanced Budgeting practices
- Scenario Planning
Afternoon Session from Noon to 4:00 p.m.
Lunch will be served with an afternoon session purchase
Afternoon session DANA member rate $75; Not a member yet? $150